Friday 20 May 2016

Day 14 & 15: New Wheelchair!

Angie and I at the wheelchair clinic
In order to catch up with my daily blog posts I thought I'd combine both yesterday and Wednesday's posts so that from today onwards I'll hopefully get back into the swing of things.
Wednesday morning, a very tried Robyn dragged herself out of bed after the excitement of the day before. Normally, I'd of had a lie in as my tutor wasn't due to come out until the afternoon however I had an appointment to pick up my new wheelchair at something like quarter to ten in the morning. So no lie in for me I'm afraid!
After dropping Laurel off at school we stopped on route to pick up a bouquet of flowers for Angie, who I met at the wheelchair clinic who unlike most professionals I've met in my time wanted to make a difference to my life and I wanted to say 'Thank-You' for her help. She really thought out of the box and wanted to give me as much independence as possible. It's rare that happens nowadays usually because it often means putting more thought and effort into something.
Due to almost being eighteen I've now been referred to the wheelchair clinics for adults so I attended my first appointment a few weeks ago because my old chair was in need of replacing. Angie was very enthusiastic and wanted to find something much more sleek and modern compared to what I'm used to. So on Wednesday we attended the clinic to pick it up and I'm absolutely delighted with the result! The difference is incredible! It's so much lighter and much easier on the eyes. I've taken full advantage of it since we got it and enjoyed pushing myself around without any assistance from my family. My name is now on a waiting list for wheelchair training so I can learn how to bump it up onto pavements and go over unsteady surfaces such as gravel which will make a huge difference and allow me more independence! So the sooner that happens, the better!
I called my Grandparents on route home to let them know we were heading  home as they had plants to give us for the garden. We also needed something from the supermarket so by the time we took a detour to Sainsbury's they'd arrived at the house. Grandad unloaded their car before the four us went to get a bite to eat at TK Maxx before my tutor was due to arrive later that afternoon. I must admit I had a great time looking round the shop at my own free reign with no difficulty pushing myself!
My art tutor arrived a little while later, this week has just been a continuation of what I've been working on of late in art. But what really made my day was a very cool email that Mum received. I'm not going to say what exactly it's about just yet. What I can say is that it'll entail another exciting day and blog post to follow in the not so distant future-so stay tuned!
Yesterday, (Thursday to be exact) is always the busiest day of the week for us. A Thursday usually consists of music tuition in the morning and my weekly radio show in the early afternoon. Thursday's music session consisted of learning 'I Can't Get No Satisfaction' by The Rolling Stones-great song by the way! And the very famous 'Smoke On The Water' by Deep Purple. 'Smoke On The Water' was the first riff I ever learned to play on guitar when I must was around ten years old just like every other guitar player however, the bass parts are completely different to the guitar riff which changed things up a little.
The usual Thursday rush soon pursued; organise music for my radio show, put makeup on and eat an early lunch before setting off to 3TFM. As always my show went in extremely quickly and was great fun! And of course it's always great to catch up with my fellow presenters at the station. It's seriously an absolute privilege being able to do something I love so much and I'll be forever grateful for the opportunity!
After picking up Laurel up from school it was time for the weekly shop. I know it's got to be done otherwise we'd starve but none of us are particularly big fans of doing it. Again, I had a great time using the new wheelchair in the supermarket though; it was like a scene out of Christmas With The Kranks where Mrs Krank and another woman were racing to get the last ham on Christmas eve except this time it was Laurel trying to keep up with me. All good fun!
Mum, Laurel and I enjoyed a soft drink in the café where we bumped into a friend of ours who came and chatted for a while. We hadn't seen him for a while so it was nice to catch up and get a hug from his lovely dog Toto in the carpark. I'd really love a dog of my own one day, they make such amazing friends!
Back home we ate dinner (as you do!) and I pretty much spent the evening on my laptop working away like always. Although, I enjoyed watching my sister Laurel's reaction to some of the 1980s music videos my Dad happened to be watching on TV. By this point I was on the verge of nodding off again (this seems to be becoming a bit of a habit these days) but someone how woke up a little just in time to watch a livestream of Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band performing at Rock In Rio, Lisbon. It was a brilliant show as always (not that you'd expect anything less from Bruce and the gang) and was a great build up for the Bruce gig I'm going to in less than two weeks-so so so excited!
Anyway, that's about as interesting as my life has been these past two days so I suppose I'll bring this post to an end.
Love & Peace,
The Hat Hippie xx

No comments:

Post a Comment