Friday 17 June 2016

Day 28: Recording My Radio Promo

Preparing for my show
What a crazy couple of days it has been! Yesterday, (Wednesday) was not a good day at all. I had a meeting regarding my health which I won't go into too much details about at this second however I will probably write about it in more detail in a few days as it's quite complex to briefly explain. All I want to say is that the system is extremely mucked up and that the things people with disabilities/health conditions are put through are absolutely appalling and I for one will NOT stand for it! It wasn't an easy day and according to my Mum I looked ill after it; I certainly didn't feel so well that's for sure hence why I decided to leave blogging and get some much needed rest. 
Nevertheless, today was a new day-thank goodness for that! After filling my tutor in, I think he realised I probably wasn't physically feeling 100% with my pain levels in both my hand and leg so he decided we'd work on something a little less taxing on bass. So using a specific app on his iPad, we found the basic chord structure of 'Superstition' by Stevie Wonder which we've looked at in past but not in as much detail as we did today. I've noticed a lot of improvement in the past few months with my bass playing and I feel excited by the prospect of being able to play along to so many amazing pieces of music by the people that I admire. Before, I could play the basic chord structure; now I can play exactly the basslines they are playing!
After tutoring I think I was visibly tired however I assured Mum that I wanted to go out for a little while so we paid a visit to TK Maxx; one of our favourite shops in town. We had a bite of lunch there and a browse in the actual shop itself. I find it extremely depressing however, to go into a shop and find all the clothing rails filled with dark and dull clothing for Winter. Honestly, just a few weeks ago I was raving about the fact that all the summer clothes were in the shops and that everything was so bright and colourful. What a difference and so quickly as well! As you all know I am not a fan of Winter (whatsoever!) so this was not a pleasant sight! It's only June after all! Surely there's still some sunshine ahead of us yet!
Following our spree in TK Maxx we still had some time on our hands before Laurel finished school for the day so next on the agenda was ASDA for a few odds and ends. ASDA funnily enough is one of our favourite places to buy cards as they always have such a lovely selection so considering it's a certain occasion this weekend my Mum did her daughterly duties and picked out a Father's Day card for my Grandad. I've been organised for a couple of weeks in advance due to the fact we initially got the dates wrong thinking it was last weekend. So for once, I'm actually prepared-go Rob!
We're not ones for hanging around in a shop for too long so we were in and out pretty quickly and still had time to spare so we headed back to the house to drop everything off. Feeling a little tired I decided to stay at home whilst Mum collected Laurel and ended up nodding off for half an hour or so-oops!
Radio Selfie
After dinner I got organised to head out the house for radio. During my show I aired part two of my debut interview with Graeme Clark from Wet Wet Wet which seemed to go down pretty well. I was certainly felt a lot calmer airing it this week. Last Thursday I was a nervous wreck! But everyone was so sweet and supportive about it which gave me a boost! A wee shout out to my good friend Jim who's on before me on a Thursday night for playing Wet Wet Wet's 'Sweet Little Mystery' to get me geared up for the interview! Brilliant song by the way! And again, a huge thank-you to everyone for tuning and joining me- it's always a pleasure!
Following my show, I recorded my promo for show through in the office. I don't know how it happened but we somehow managed to recorded in just one take! Even the backing music (which by the way is a very special song to me) was the perfect amount of time required to play in background! We had to turn out the lights to avoid a horrible buzzing noise in the recording so it quite funny speaking into a mic like you're recording an album in a professional studio whilst trying to read from a piece of paper in the process. Fortunately, it's the Summer months so it was light enough to actually see the piece of paper. I quite enjoyed recording it though; it's interesting to see how it's all put together.
Then it was straight up the road where I spent the remainder of the evening chilling out before heading off to bed. So that's what happened during my day; how was yours?
Until next time,
Love & Peace,
The Hat Hippie xx

No comments:

Post a Comment