Monday 11 April 2016

My Favourite Childhood Book

I recently heard about a campaign in support of an amazing organisation called 'The Library Project' who supply orphanages and schools in China and Vietnam with books, libraries and reading corners, through Camilia from Twenty Three Pages who was asked by 'The Library Project'  if she'd like to write about her favourite childhood book. A whole host of bloggers have decided to get involved and write about their favourite childhood books so today I thought I'd dig into my younger years and share my favourite book with the world. Personally, I believe that every child should be entitled to the luxury of being able to pick up a book and explore a whole other world hence why I've decided to show my support and take part in this today. If you want to find out more about 'The Library Project' please click here.
Now to some degree this was a tricky decision as I've loved indulging myself in a good book ever since I was a little girl, so picking just one isn't exactly easy. However, there is one book that sticks out in my mind from my childhood and has always played a big part in my life. And that is of course 'Peter Pan & Wendy' by J.M. Barrie. I cannot remember exactly when I first discovered the magical story of the boy who never grew up but it's faithfully been there throughout my life. Even now in my late teens, it still holds a very special place in my heart.
I'm sure most of you are familiar with this classic novel so I won't go into too much details about the story itself but if you haven't read it, I'd completely urge you to go out there, find a copy and read it! I'm pretty sure you'll fall absolutely in love with it just like I have.
Being a patient at Great Ormond Street Hospital in London for the first thirteen years of my life, I was submerged in the world of Peter Pan; everywhere I turned was some sort of reference to the story. There was murals, statues both inside and outside the building, photos from the 2003 film and even a Peter Pan ward. For a hospital it was pretty magical I must admit. What some of you may not know was that J.M. Barrie actually donated the rights of the story to GOSH. This meant that all of the royalties would go to the hospital and in turn help the hundreds of children that went through its doors each and every day.
The story of Peter Pan; the boy who never grew up is truly magical and captures the hearts of people of all ages. In my world it was light during the dark days in hospital and always put a smile on my face and for that I am truly grateful. I think we can all relate to the character of Peter Pan who was adamant that he would remain a child forever and never grow up. Don't we all wish that sometimes?
As a young child I think the whole idea of a boy who could fly and lived in a magical world called 'Neverland' enticed me. I'm sure there was a couple of occasions that I peered out the window whilst in GOSH, which just so happened to be situated in Bloomsbury where the Darling family lived in the story, hoping that I'd spot Peter Pan flying in the dark night sky.
And it wasn't just Peter Pan that captured our imaginations; the book was filled with many wonderful characters that made it all the more special. There was characters like Tinker Bell, his trusty fairy companion (what little girl doesn't love fairies!?) that gave him the power to fly, the Darling family who accompanied Peter to his magical world in hope of adventure, the mermaids, Princess Tiger Lilly and the pirates of course! I must admit even though the pirates are looked upon as villains, there's something pretty cool and intriguing about them at the same time. What's better than a book filled with so many unique and marvellous characters that jump off the pages and bring the story to life!? That to me is a sign of a good book!
J.M. Barrie's most famous and beloved novel certainly had a major impact on my younger self and like I said earlier in this post; it still holds a very special place in my heart. It makes my eyes twinkle and I feel warm and fuzzy inside as I read it. It'll always remain a firm favourite of mine and I'm sure will continue to be loved by many for years to come. And in those few words; that is why 'Peter Pan and Wendy' is my favourite childhood book!
 
Now, I know it was a fairly short post today folks but I want to get all of you involved so make sure to leave a comment below and tell me what your favourite book was a child!

4 comments:

  1. That was such a wonderful story. I'm sorry you had to be in a hospital for 13 years and I hope you are better now. I never read the Peter Pan book but I watched the movies and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much Camillia for the sweet comment! The Peter Pan book is definitely worth a read but I have to agree the films are very special!

      Delete
  2. I didn't know the rights had been donated to GOSH, that's really awesome! Such a great cause, and a great book :)

    http://natalieslife.com/2016/04/the-library-project-favourite-childhood-book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree Natalie! It's nice to know that whilst we the reader are enjoying the book, it is also helping a great cause! Thank-you so much for taking the time to check out my post!

      Delete