Wednesday 28 September 2016

Introducing Beccs: Debut EP 'Unfound Beauty'

Photo Credit: Jena Cumbo
I was recently contacted and asked if I'd be interested in writing about an EP due to be released by a new up and coming artist known as Beccs. As you all know I'm currently putting a major emphasis on supporting the music industry and introducing you to new artists so when I received this email, of course I had to say 'yes!' I must add that I'm still learning a lot about reviewing however I'm just going to go purely by my own opinion and hope for the best!
Before I go any further I must say that Beccs' debut EP 'Unfound Beauty' is a force to be reckoned with and Beccs is certainly an artist to keep a close eye on. I know for a fact that she's going to go far! Her debut EP which was released just days ago on the 21st September comes after the success of the release of 'Therapy' accompanied by her first ever music video which I'll embed below for you to check out as well as 'Scared Of Me' the award winning debut single.
Beccs is an artist currently based in Brooklyn (originating from Boston) with an incredibly powerful voice. Various articles have compared her to the likes of legendary British artist Amy Winehouse as well as Fiona Apple and after listening to the EP myself, I completely agree! Adding to the list, her voice and musical style also reminds me of singers such as Adele and even Paloma Faith; unique and extremely powerful!



'Unfound Beauty' kicks off with the EP's second single 'Therapy' which explores the challenges of living with an eating disorder. A haunting yet entrancing opening number which instantly grabbed my attention. During 'Therapy' the listener instantly becomes aware of a powerful voice; the voice of a woman with a story to tell. Therapy's accompanying music video was released just a few weeks ago and illustrates the darkness of the haunting tale before our very eyes. If you enjoyed Sia's music videos then, you're bound to love this! 
'Therapy' is immediately followed by the already successful 'Scared Of Me' which was released as Beccs' debut single and ultimately the world's first peek at the future EP release. At this early stage of listening to the EP, I am already won over by Beccs' distinctive voice and the stunning musical arrangements which accompany it. From the beginning of the track I can't help but notice the pungent bass hook which appears periodically throughout the track creating an atmospheric ambience.
This is followed by 'Waiting' a beautiful piano ballad with a slight eeriness. I love the simplicity of the track which allows the natural beauty of Beccs' voice to shine through. 'Waiting' could easily appear in the soundtrack to one of the Chronicles of Narnia films sharing a similar vibe to the numerous tracks featured within the film trilogy had they been made in the present day.
Next is a song titled 'It's For You', a very powerful and dramatic piano based track. I can't help love this song; it's quirky and unique-everything that I'm attracted to in music! There's a certain theatrical element within the music that somehow makes me think of the classic Lewis Carrol tale of 'Alice In Wonderland'. Be sure to pay attention to the final few moments of the track where Beccs' brings the song to a spectacular finish with a breath-taking high note.
Photo Credit: Tira Khan
And last but certainly not least is the EP's title track 'Unfound Beauty' which can only be described as an absolutely stunning piece of art. An acoustic guitar based number with a slight Spanish influence; Beccs' voice is pure and calming and will instantly have you fixated in a deep trance. There are moments within the song that remind me of Amy Winehouse numbers such as 'Valerie' and 'Half Time' which I'm personally a huge fan of so inevitably I fell absolutely head over heels for this song. I could easily lie down and close my eyes with a big smile upon my face as thinking about the beauty of warm Summer days as I listen. What a tranquil thought! But sadly all the good things must come to an end as did this track and ultimately the EP.
As I reach the end of 'Unfound Beauty' what are my thoughts? Well, I thoroughly enjoyed every second of the EP and am extremely excited to hear all of Beccs' future releases and see where the music takes her. I can honestly say that there isn't a single track in the EP that I don't love! Beccs' has the most wonderful and enchanting voice and unfortunately talent like hers is a rare occurrence in the music today. But when a rare gem does show up in artists such as Beccs, we should hold on to it and support their music in every way possible. So on that note, I urge you to take a few minutes out of your day to purchase a copy of 'Unfound Beauty' and support a career which is bound to go far!
To find out more about Beccs and keep up to date with all of her news and future music, click on one of the links below:

Website: www.beccsmusic.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/beccsmusic
Instagram: www.instagram.com/beccsmusic
Soundcloud: www.soundcloud.com/beccsmusic
Bandcamp: www.beccsmusic.bandcamp.com


2 comments:

  1. After only a few bars I became aware of the power of the artists voice, as you said I would. I look forward to listening to more of her work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear you noticed the same power in her voice that I did-incredible! Hopefully there will be more music coming in future!

      Delete