Saturday 5 December 2015

The Other Side Of Christmas

If you've been following my blog since I started it over a year ago, you may remember a post I wrote about meeting James Bowen and Street Cat Bob when they visited Glasgow to sign copies of James latest book "A Gift From Bob". The book was written about James' life living on the streets during the Christmas period before he met Bob. It also focuses on one particularly cold and snowy December in London back in 2010. I wanted to write a few festive blog posts throughout the month of December and where Christmas is supposed to be the season of goodwill and joy to all men; there is another side which is often forgotten about by each and every one of us. So in today's post I'd really like to highlight that side of Christmas and bring it to everyone's attention.
Whilst we are all curled up in front of the Christmas tree in the warmth of our homes, there are thousands of people roaming the streets with nowhere to go and no place to call home. I'd been planning to write about this subject for a little while now as it's something I'm very passionate about. Coincidently, whilst watching TV the other day I saw an advertisment for a documentary on being homeless at Christmas and it actually made me think about this subject all the more. So I decided to sit down and actually write a bit about it. 
If you've read my previous post about James and Bob you'll know a little bit about them and how I first discovered them but just to briefly fill you in; James Bowen was once a drug addict (now recovered) who for a period of time (prior to meeting Bob) lived on the streets of London. He met Bob, a gorgeous ginger Tom cat at what I'm sure was a very difficult time in his life. James found Bob on a neighbour's door step so presuming he belonged to one of his neighbours gave Bob a stroke, said 'Hello' and walked on by. Noticing that Bob was injured, James realised the little cat must have been a stray so decided to help him out and nurse him back to health. Once Bob's injury had healed and no longer showed any sign of infection, James sent Bob on his way. However, as James set out on his way to busk in Convent Garden, the little cat followed him onto the bus and sat down on the seat beside him-pretty unbelievable! 
Before long James and Bob were inseparable and little Bob began to turn James' life around leading to James taking the final step to come off of the methadone programme. One day, James was approached by a lady he often spoke to whilst selling copies of the Big Issue and was asked to write a book about his life with Bob and well; the rest was history really!
He's since released a number books; some of which are for older readers, some suited to younger readers and even children's picture books. One of his most recent books, takes place during a particularly cold winter that hit Britain back in 2010. A Gift From Bob really touched me in a way that very few books have ever done before. If I remember right, I'm pretty sure this was James and Bob's last Christmas living it rough before his first book was written and released. Money was tight meaning that it was difficult to afford to pay for heating and electricy forcing James to go out in the freezing tempratures which caused him to on ice slip and injure his leg. Yet, he still had to brave the cold weather as well as the pain in his leg to busk as well as selling copies of the Big Issue in order to make just enough money to get by and take care of both himself and Bob. Around this time, James saw a few things which brought back what I'm sure were painful memories of his time living on the streets.
I don't want to write too much about the book as you guys really need to go out, purchase a copy and read it for yourselves but there is a point I want to make through writing today's post. Reading James' book about Christmas on the streets and how Bob the cat changed his life really opened my eyes and made me think. As you know, I've spent alot of time in London throughout my life having treatment in hospital and attending medical appointments. Due to this I've spent alot of time with my family walking through the streets of London. From a young age I've seen alot of people sleeping in cardboard boxes outside in the streets at all times in the year. Some of these people were young children and it was absolutely heartbreaking to witness. My parents always took us into the nearest coffee shop/McDonalds and ordered coffee and a muffin/pastry or somethling like that and gave it to some of the people sitting outside/sleeping in the streets. Sadly, we can't change their situation as much as I wish I could right there and then but, at the very least we can give them something warm in order to help heat them up and keep them going throughout the day.
London is a very lonely place at times and I for one have had first hand experience of just how unfriendly a place it can sometimes be. It's difficult to get to know anyone and due to how big a place it is makes it all the more difficult to even recognise someone's face. Despite this, I was actually taken aback with the kindness of people mentioned in the book and to be honest it helped restore my faith in humanity. Reading James' experiences during the Christmas period in London gave me that warm and fuzzy feeling inside. I felt touched by his story and I'm so pleased to see that James' life has turned upside down and that he is now able to help others who are in similar situations. At his book signing that I attended last year, James invited a gentleman who'd been selling The Big Issue outside the shop to come inside and sell copies of the magazine to those waiting in the signing queue. He was such a friendly gentleman and the support he recieved from James and all of his readers evidently meant the world to him.
Both reading James' book as well as seeing the look upon people's faces when you hand them as simple a thing as a cup of coffee and a pack of mini muffins makes you realise that it's the small things in life that really count. Perhaps we should all take a step back from the craziness of our lives every now and then and consider just how lucky we really are! What we often forget is that none of us know what the future beholds for us; any one of us could easily encounter difficult times . "A Gift From Bob" is such a positive yet very touching book which certainly made me think and feel grateful for the live I have. Yes, life isn't easy and i've encountered my own fair share of problems but at the same time I'm one very blessed girl. 
So this Christmas please spare a thought to all the people out there who aren't as fortunate as us. If you walk by someone on the streets pop into the nearest coffee shop and buy them a hot chocolate. Or even just spare them a smile and wish them a merry Christmas as you pass on by; that one smile might just be what they needed to brighten their day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment